Thursday, December 19, 2013

TV: My Love Hate Relationship


I readily admit to being a TV junky. I first truly admitted my problem when I chose to skip Physics class for an episode of The People’s Court with Judge Wapner. At one point, I took all of the TVs out of the house for a year. It was liberating but I did bring them back in. Thankfully, I resisted the temptation to put a TV in my kids’ rooms. However, I am a slave to my own bedroom TV. Yesterday I watched an HBO documentary on childhood obesity. It said that studies now show the link to obesity and television viewing is not so much because we are couch potatoes but mostly from the commercials we view telling us to eat more crappy food (my paraphrase). What do you watch on TV? If you tell me the programs you choose to watch, I can tell you a lot about what you truly believe and your priorities. Does your viewing list reflect how you really want to be now? Someone I know says, “garbage in, garbage out” is really “garbage in, stays in.” TV gives us many of our opinions about the world around us although we don’t like to admit this is true. We can change our perspective by changing the information we allow into our minds. I stopped watching so much one-sided inflammatory TV and I think I am better informed as a result. Interesting.
www.selahfs.com