Thursday, December 19, 2013

History Really Does Repeat Itself


I readily admit that I hated social studies and history when I was in school. Why they wanted me to learn about the meaningless past and memorize a bunch of stupid dates was beyond my comprehension. I have the grades in social studies to prove my point! My boyfriend went to college to study history and political science and then became an Air Force officer, further proving the point that history was rather a waste of time, or so I thought. Since becoming a financial advisor, I have grown into quite the accidental student of history. I think it really started when I read The Big Short: Inside the Doomsday Machine by Michael Lewis. I wanted to understand more about what occurred behind the scenes in the financial industry during 2007 and 2008. I found it fascinating so I went on to read about the stock market around the depression and learned more about bucket shops. I was hooked. I have continued to learn about Congresses, Presidents, significant events in our country’s development, etc. My apologies to all of my very patient friends who teach history to ingrates like me.  If you really think this time is different, my humble advice is that you learn more about our collective history.
www.selahfs.com